Grandparents can play an important role in the upbringing of their grandchildren. Problems can arise however where a parent decides for whatever reason that a grandparent can no longer see their grandchildren.

That is where we can help. We can advise you as to the best way of resolving areas of conflict with parents to re-establish contact.

We can arrange appointments with Independent Mediators for the parties to see if a resolution can be reached and are able to attend round the table meetings with the other parties’ solicitors to try and negotiate a satisfactory settlement. If an agreement cannot be reached, as a last resort, it is possible to make an Application to the Court for an Order. If that is necessary we would advise you as to the procedure and attend Court with you at every stage.

There are various applications that can be made by grandparents in relation to their grandchildren. Courts can and do make Child Arrangements Orders for contact in relation to grandparents setting out when and for how long they should see their grandchildren.

As well as issues in relation to contact, there are also cases where grandparents can seek to have their grandchildren live with them. That can be achieved by applying to the Court for a Child Arrangements Order seeking residence or, in certain circumstances, a Special Guardianship Order. Whilst these Orders are relatively unusual, they can be necessary and are particularly relevant where a Local Authority is involved with the children.

There are also Orders known as Specific Issue Orders whereby a grandparent can ask the Court to make a decision on a specific issue for example a holiday to be taken with grandchildren. If any of these Applications are made and no agreement can be reached the Court may seek a report from the Court Welfare Officer as to what is in the children’s best interests.

We have acted for numerous grandparents on issues arising out of all of these matters and have had considerable success in resolving issues to our clients’ satisfaction. If you require any advice on any of the issues please make an appointment to see our resident expert Mr David Banks, Solicitor.

Remember that your first consultation is free and there is no obligation to use our services following this appointment.

To arrange a discussion with one of our specialist lawyers please call us on 0191 257 1051 or email us at

Our lawyers are also members of the Grandparent’s Association, which has been working with and for grandparents to achieve positive outcomes for their grandchildren for decades.

The Grandparent’s Association has been in operation since 1987 and initially had been set up by a group of grandparents whose grandchildren had been put into care, adopted from care or were not allowed any contact with them and has now grown into a thriving national charity, with around 1,000 members nationwide made up of grandparents and organisations.